On Monday, a judge in Santa Ana CA agreed to hear Alan Keyes’ case:
Supporters of a case that disputes the legitimacy of Barack Obama’s presidency claimed a small victory today when U.S. District Judge David O. Carter told them to fix their paperwork and that he would listen to “the merits” of their case. But others present for the hearing Monday at the federal courthouse in Santa Ana stressed that the case remains a long way from ever getting a full airing in court and may never get to that point.
The case, Alan Keyes, et al. v Barack H. Obama, et al. was filed on Inauguration Day and is one of a raft of suits alleging Obama is ineligible to be president because he is not a “natural born citizen.” Such claims have fared badly in court to date. In December, for example, the Supreme Court dismissed without comment a case challenging Obama’s right to take the oath of office.
Perhaps because of that history, Orly Taitz, the lawyer who filed the current suit, was greatly cheered by Monday’s hearing. “He’s very determined to hear the case on the merits,” Taitz said, referring to the judge. “He stated, the country needs to know if Mr. Obama is legitimate, if he can legitimately stay in the White House.”
Judge Carter is a former Marine.
Important note, via Defend Our Freedoms:
There was no trial set for Keyes v Obama hearing, July 13th. The judge only permitted Orly Taitz to serve the US Attorney. This case was about procedure in serving the President. Not about merits of the case itself.
Alan Keyes’ blog, here.
The second victory came for U.S. Army Reserve Major, Maj. Stefan Frederick Cook, from Florida, who was scheduled to report for deployment to Afghanistan within days. He had filed a restraining order asking for confirmation that his Commander in Chief was legitimately in office.
His attorney, Orly Taitz told WND that the military, rescinded his deployment orders on Tuesday:
DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
U.S. ARMY HUMAN RESOURCES COMMAND
1 RESERVE WAY
ST. LOUIS, MO 63132-5200
AHRC-PLM-S 14 JUL 2009
COOK STEFAN FREDERICK EAD8 W096AA
THE FOLLOWING ORDER IS REVOKED OR RESCINDED AS SHOWN.
This is a stunning development, that so far the MSM has ignored.
“We won! We won before we even arrived,” she said with excitement. “It means that the military has nothing to show for Obama. It means that the military has directly responded by saying Obama is illegitimate – and they cannot fight it. Therefore, they are revoking the order!”
She continued, “They just said, ‘Order revoked.’ No explanation. No reasons – just revoked.”
A hearing on the questions raised by Maj. Stefan Frederick Cook, an engineer who told WND he wants to serve his country in Afghanistan, was scheduled for July 16 at 9:30 a.m.
Dianna Cotter at Examiner.com says:
This has set a precedent heretofore unknown. The entire US Military can now not only question it’s orders, a requirement of their duty when they believe that an order is given illegitimately, but can expect that their orders will also be rescinded should they question the legitimacy of the CIC who is the ultimate Authority in Command. In other words, Obama.
I guess now is as good a time as any to mention this:
On Maj. Stefan Frederick Cook’s case:
Pentagon orders soldier fired for challenging prez