Fast and Furious Meeting Between Holder and Issa Scheduled For 5:00 PM, Today In the Capitol UPDATE: Contempt Committee Meeting On For Wed.

A face-to-face meeting between GOP Rep. Darrell Issa and Attorney General Eric Holder concerning Fast and Furious documents has been scheduled for 5:00 pm Tuesday afternoon in the Capitol.

On June 14,  Holder wrote that, “the Department is prepared to provide documents that, while outside the scope of the Committee’s interest in the inappropriate tactics used in Fast and Furious, are responsive to how the Department’s understanding of the facts regarding that matter evolved throughout 2011 and how the Department came to withdraw its February 4, 2011, letter to Senator Grassley.”

Those are the documents specifically requested by Issa. Tick tick tick….

William La Jeunesse at Fox News reports:

Holder has posed making a deal with Issa, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, by offering some key documents in exchange for Issa calling off a contempt vote scheduled for Wednesday.

“They say they have the documents,” Issa said a few hours before the scheduled meeting. “We’re hoping to receive those documents before the 5 p.m. meeting. That was a contingent requirement for the meeting. … It’s not about meetings, it’s about getting documents.”

  Issa wrote to the Attorney General on June 15 that, “production of the documents noted in your letter and outlined yesterday in a meeting with Committee staff would be sufficient for me to justify a postponement of the Committee’s scheduled vote on contempt to facilitate their review and discussions with the Department.  I am prepared to announce this delay once the Department produces these documents.”
He reiterated this position on June 18:  “only the delivery of documents outlined and offered by the Department of Justice last Thursday to staff will be sufficient to justify a postponement of Wednesday’s scheduled vote.”
Not only must Holder deliver the roughly 1,300 documents pertaining to the Feb. 4 letter, but he must also produce a description of all the documents he will not produce. Issa says that document log is “essential for the committee to determine whether the department has substantially met its obligations.”Issa rescheduled Tuesday’s meeting from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. to give his staff and the committee time to review the documents. Either way, it is a high stakes gambit on Holder’s part to forestall a contempt vote Republicans are sure to pass in the Oversight Committee, which is composed of 22 Republicans and 16 Democrats.But getting a contempt measure to the House floor could be a problem. Sources close to the investigation told Fox News that both Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor generally are not supportive of the vote against Holder. And unless the contempt citation is passed by the House as a whole, the subpoena remains a paper tiger with no force of law.Some House Republicans fear if Boehner does not fully support Issa, Issa may be forced to accept Holder’s offer so he doesn’t walk away empty-handed. It’s also possible the committee could vote to hold Holder in contempt only to see the citation die a quiet death over the summer if Boehner does not schedule a full House vote.

The Full Committee Business Meeting to consider a report holding Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress has been scheduled for 10:00 am Wednesday morning in the Rayburn House Office Building.

Via the Oversight and Reform press release:

Why are the post February 4, 2011, documents critically important?
On February 4, 2011, the Department of Justice denied whistleblower allegations that guns in Operation Fast and Furious had been allowed to “walk” to Mexico and defended the Operation itself. Ten months later, on December 2, 2011, the Justice Department formally withdrew this denial and acknowledged that Fast and Furious was “fundamentally flawed.” In responding to Congress, however, the Justice Department has taken the position that it will not share its internal deliberations related to Operation Fast and Furious that occurred after it denied anything inappropriate occurred on February 4, 2011. This position effectively denies Congress and the American people information about:
o The Justice Department switching its view from denying whistleblower allegations to admitting they were true.
o Hiding the identity of officials who led the charge to call whistleblowers liars and retaliate against them.
o The reactions of top officials when confronted with evidence about gunwalking in Fast and Furious, including whether they were surprised or were already aware.
o The Justice Department’s assessment of responsibility for officials who knew about reckless conduct or were negligent.
o Whether senior officials and political appointees at fault in Operation Fast and Furious were held to the same standards as lower level career employees whom the Department has primarily blamed.
While officials at the Department of Justice had earlier claimed that divulging this information would have a “chilling effect” on future internal deliberations, they have more recently expressed a greater willingness to produce this material. Congress, under both Democratic and Republican leadership, has never recognized internal agency discussions as privileged and protected.
Expect updates.
UPDATE:
5:50 pm: As expected, Holder didn’t pony up.
Fox News just moments ago: Issa: Documents needed to postpone a contempt vote, still in Holder’s possession. As of right now – contempt vote still on.
They are still giving him time tonight to produce the documents.
@DarrellIssa on Twitter: 

Wish I could report #Holder delivered the docs we need to get to the truth in #fastandfurious. He didn’t

UPDATE II:
Tomorrow’s Oversight Committee meeting to consider a contempt resolution for AG Holder will be streamed live at 10:00 am at FastAndFurious.com.
UPDATE III:

Share

MSNBC’s “Supermarket Scanner Moment”

How desperate are the ObaMedia to get their fubar candidate reelected?

How about this. They resurrect a tired old meme about rich Republican candidates being “out of touch” with the average American because the modern supermarket electronic technology befuddle and “amaze” them. Andrea Mitchell wants us all to remember poppy Bush’s “supermarket scanners moment”…Now all these years later, we find that Mitt too, is “confused and frightened” by modern technology because these “out of touch” Republicans are just like SNL’s Caveman Lawyer or something.

But MSNBC “selectively edited” the tape to make it look like Romney was bringing up Wawa’s touchtone ordering system for no other reason than to express surprise.

Look how choppy this editing job is:

No Wonder Sooper Mexican was suspicious. He found an unedited version of Romney’s comments:

In actuality, Mitt was contrasting the ridiculous over-regulation of the public sector, with the efficiency of the private sector, and used the electronic ordering system at WAWAs as an example…

You can watch the full version on his blog.

In the unedited version, it’s clear that Romney brought up the touchtone at Wawa’s not to express his “amazement” at the technology, but to contrast the private sector to the public sector. As the top commenter on the YouTube version said, “this isn’t about biased spin; it’s about flat-out lying.”

So now MSNBC has disgraced itself once again with an egregious editing job, and Andrea Mitchell has egg all over her face. My only question is whether MSNBC did this on their own, or in collusion with the Obama camp.

Another day, another attempt by the Obami to control the narrative, blows up in their faces.

If it keeps going this way, the next few months of campaign coverage may actually be kinda fun to watch.

Betsy Newmark thinks that it’s the folks at MSNBC who are out of touch.

It’s as if MSNBC had no idea that anyone else could find the video of the moment shot by some guy with a camera who was waiting to hand his book about hemp to Mitt Romney and then a blogger could figure out how they misleadingly edited the Romney video. They forgot that there are conservative bloggers out there who are capable of finding out their editing chicanery and that the internet can be used to distribute the proof of their dishonest reporting. Soon the real story goes from conservative blogs to Politico and now there are questions that MSNBC will have to answer. Just as NBC News had to fire a producer for editing the George Zimmerman tape of his 911 call, someone will probably have to lose his or her job for this if MSNBC cares at all about even the appearance of journalistic integrity. Perhaps not.

The upshot of this whole incident is that MSNBC proved to be more out of touch than the Mitt Romney they were portraying. They are the ones who don’t understand how the new media works and how they can’t get away with deceiving the public in the ways they would like to.

But then, what if they are just brazen enough not to care? They were able to do a lot of damage to George Zimmerman with their selectively edited piece on him. They were able to damage the tea party with their selectively edited piece on them. Sure, at some point, the lie is exposed, but in the meantime thousands of people have been deceived and they may never see the correct version of what happened.

UPDATE:

Andrea Mitchell responds to the brouhaha:

The Right Scoop: NO APOLOGY: MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell refuses to acknowledge they misled their viewers over Romney’s Wawa comments

RELATED (Trust me…):

Via Politico:

President Barack Obama’s campaign wants to turn Mitt Romney into the candidate of old, straight, white men.

Of course, his aides would never state it so crudely. But that’s the unmistakable aim of their political strategy of the past two months.

Obama, on the other hand, could be said to be the candidate of old, straight, white, rich women: Sympathy for ‘the Devil’: Anna Wintour ‘an Engaged Politico and Valuable Asset’ to Obama, Gushes NYTimes

Narrative FAIL.

Linked by Michelle Malkin, thanks!

Share