Interesting. On Oct.31, CBS News requested images of US officials taken in the White House on 9/11 and those requests have been denied by the White House Photo Office. As the always stellar Sharyl Attkisson notes, Obama stated during his press conference on Nov. 14, that his Administration has provided all information regarding “what happened in Benghazi.”
In the past, the White House has released photos showing US officials during national security incidents. A half dozen images related to the mission that captured and killed Osama bin Laden were given to the public last year. One depicts President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and members of the national security team gathered in the Situation Room on May 1, 2011.
Think there’ll be any photos from the situation room on 9/11/2012 of Obama officials watching US citizens in Benghazi getting slaughtered in real time, and doing nothing about it?
A White House official referred our request regarding the Benghazi attacks to the White House Photo Office. On Nov. 1, an official there indicated she would process our request quickly, but then did not respond further. Finally, this week, the White House Photo Office told CBS News it would not release any images without approval of Josh Earnest in the White House Press Office. Earnest did not respond to our telephone calls and emails.
At a press conference on Nov. 14, 2012 President Obama stated that his Administration has provided all information regarding “what happened in Benghazi.”
“We have provided every bit of information that we have, and we will continue to provide information…,” the President told reporters, adding, “we will provide all the information that is available about what happened on that day…” and “I will put forward every bit of information that we have.”
CBS News has also requested details about the President and his staff’s decisions during the attacks, but have been rebuffed on those requests, as well.
Probably because Obama feels like he’s provided enough details, already, as typified by this response given to another stellar reporter (one of the few left), KUSA-TV’s Kyle Clarke who asked Obama about possible denials of requests for aid in an interview in Denver, last month:
“Well, we are finding out exactly what happened,” the president again said. “I can tell you, as I’ve said over the last couple of months since this happened, the minute I found out what was happening, I gave three very clear directives. Number one, make sure that we are securing our personnel and doing whatever we need to. Number two, we’re going to investigate exactly what happened so that it doesn’t happen again. Number three, find out who did this so we can bring them to justice. And I guarantee you that everyone in the state department, our military, the CIA, you name it, had number one priority making sure that people were safe. These were our folks and we’re going to find out exactly what happened, but what we’re also going to do it make sure that we are identifying those who carried out these terrible attacks.”
Again, Sharyl notes the difference between this situation and last year, when “reporters were given details of the decision making, timeline and players regarding the Osama bin Laden raid as well as access to certain emails.”
Hat tip: Weasel Zippers