Benghazi continues to be in the news only because dogged Republicans refuse to let it go. One of them is Senator Richard Burr of NC., who brought up the issue at John Brennen’s confirmation hearing, last week.
CNS News reported:
Sen. Richard Burr, a member of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said that the CIA has “flatly refused” to give some Benghazi-related documents to the committee, which is conducting an investigation of the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist attacks on the State Department and CIA personnel and facilities in Benghazi, Libya.
Sen. Burr made the assertion last week at the confirmation hearing for John Brennan, whom President Barack Obama has nominated to be director of the CIA. Brennan currently serves as the president’s counterterrorism adviser.
“Mr. Brennan, as you know, the committee’s conducting a thorough inquiry into the attacks in Benghazi, Libya,” Sen. Burr said. “In the course of this investigation, the CIA has repeatedly delayed and in some cases flatly refused to provide documents to this committee.”
None of the other members of the committee contradicted Burr’s assertion.
Wednesday, Senator Burr asked Jack Lew, the White House Chief of Staff and nominee for Treasury Sec, who briefed the President on the night of the attack, and Lew was unable to answer the question even though he claims he was in the room.
This is all very interesting because Brigitte Gabriel, an expert on Islamic extremism, recently claimed that there will be new information to come out on the Benghazi attack that will leave people “amazed and shocked” when they finally hear it.
The Blaze reported:
“As someone working with the intelligence community…more information is going to come out regarding the Benghazi attack that will really leave people amazed and shocked how we have been — on how we are defending the country,” Gabriel said on Fox News.
But in her opinion, the information may never come out unless we have a special committee to investigate the attack, where those involved are forced to answer legitimate questions under oath.
“There are multiple issues that will come out, I wish I could tell you, but it goes back to the Bin Laden attack,” she said. [Emphasis added].
When asked if she could give readers a general idea of who her sources are, Gabriel replied: “I have connections with some of the highest generals in our military who told me [the information], face to face, by mouth. They looked at me and said, here’s what going on, here’s the thing…”
Weighing in on reports that Ambassador Stevens was involved in a gun-running operation to provide arms to Syrian rebels at the behest of the U.S. government, Gabriel was equally clear.
“There was an operation; they were smuggling weapons to Syria, and he died because he was involved and because something went wrong,” she stated.
According to Gabriel, information about the gun-running program is only one aspect of the shocking information that could be released.
The Washington Free Beacon reported on Wednesday that Darrell Issa’s committee, Oversight and Reform was still looking for answers on Benghazi.
The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform’s letter to the State Department requesting information on the United States consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya, went unanswered, according to a GOP aide.
“We haven’t got any information,” the aide told the Free Beacon. “[We] haven’t gotten anything requested in the letter or anything.”
Oversight sent the letter on Jan. 28, requesting information be sent no later than Feb. 11. The committee received a confirmation of the letter on Feb. 12, which said the State Department is “working on it.”