The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
“This movement is turning our campuses into hostile environments for free expression and due process. And so far, university officials, political leaders, and the White House are siding with the mob.” – Christina Hoff Summers
“Why can’t a woman/Be more like a man? – ‘Hymn To Him’ from My Fair Lady
“Feminists at Occidental College created an online form to anonymously report rape/sexual assault,” a user wrote in a Tuesday post on Reddit’s Men’s Rights group. “You just fill out a form and the person is called into the office on a rape charge. The ‘victim’ never has to prove anything or reveal their identity.” – Quoted In Los Angeles Times, December 20, 2013.
This week’s winning essay, Bookworm Room’s The coming perfect storm on American college campuses — one that feminists and other professional victims will hate is pretty much about what the title implies it is…an examination of the current anti-male politically correct malaise with a surprise ending! Here’s a slice:
Several bizarre trends are burgeoning on American college campuses, all of which have the potential to backfire in spectacular form against the hardcore Leftists who are promulgating these ideas. This post focuses on three of the worst ideas in modern academia:
(1) The next generation of political correctness, which classifies any speech that hurts a student’s feelings as either a microaggression or a form of triggering. Older generation Lefties are slowly figuring out that these concepts are a form of censorship — but pointing that out, of course, is a form of microaggression that can trigger feelings of persecution in women, members of the LGBTQRSTUV community, people of color, people with handicaps (including young lawyers who demand corner offices at large law offices because they suffer from claustrophobia, something that really happened), victims of rape, victims of bad haircuts, people traumatized by reading about Cecil the Lion, etc.
(2) The bizarre pretense that a person’s sex is no longer a biological matter (as in X and Y chromosomes, which manifest themselves in different reproductive systems, hormones, musculoskeletal systems, etc.), but is simply a matter of preference, so that students can now claim to have a “fluid gender identity” that changes depending upon the person’s mood. On Tuesday, feeling manly, you can put on jeans and a baseball cap, and manspread over a couple of seats at a campus coffee shop; then on Wednesday, to explore your feminine side, you can put on a nice sun dress, put conditioner in your beard to make it soft and silky, and participate in the Womyn’s Group’s latest protest against male hegemony.
(3) The rabid attack on all men as rapists. The most recent examples of this campus pathology range from a manifestly delusional confabulator (as happened at the University of Virginia), to a pathetic woman desperate for attention (as seen with Emma Sulkowicz), to a scorned woman (such as the one who fell into the clutches of one of academia’s professional man haters, and then managed to drag an innocent man into a kangaroo court beyond even Kafka’s imaginings).
The last of the three trends, incidentally, is a direct by-product of the virulent misanthropy that incubates in “womyn’s studies” departments and that thrives on American campuses. If you’re interested in learning more, I highly recommend Robert Stacy McCain’s Sex Trouble: Essays on Radical Feminism and the War Against Human Nature. The book, which is by McCain’s own admission a work in progress, provides chapter and verse on the man-hating lesbians who occupy academia and churn out academic bestsellers. One of the more prominent examples of these “scholars” was the late Andrea Dworkin who, in 1987, published Intercourse, which asserts that all male-female penetrative sex is by definition a form of rape.
You do realize, of course, where we’re going with these three trends? One day, it’s going to happen that a young woman, whether because she’s delusional, an emotional exhibitionist, or simply vindictive, will file a complaint with her university’s sexual harassment squad claiming that, even though she consented for months to have sex with her boyfriend, she’s concluded in retrospect that her erstwhile boyfriend raped her. Being familiar with the Stalin-esque administration of her campus, she rightly assumes that, once she’s filed her complaint, her boyfriend will be summoned before a kangaroo court and run out of campus on a rail, with his entire future destroyed. Ah, sweet revenge!
More (and the surprise ending) at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was the brilliant Mark Steyn with The Party of Why Nothing Can Be Done submitted by The Watcher.
Steyn’s characterization of the GOP is hilarious and unfortunately right on target. Recommended.
Here are this week’s full results. Ask Marion and the Razor were unable to vote this week, but neither was affected by the 2/3 vote penalty for not voting:
- *First place with 2 2/3 votes!–Bookworm Room – The coming perfect storm on American college campuses — one that feminists and other professional victims will hate
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – The Independent Sentinel – EPA Forced Their Way on to the Gold King Mine
- Second place with 2 votes – Joshuapundit–‘What Thy Right Hand Possesses’ – The Rape of Kayla Mueller
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Don Surber – The Madman Behind The Gibson Guitar
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Right Planet – Climate Change: Lysenkoism and ‘Weather Cooking’ Revisited
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –VA Right! – Donald Trump Nullifies RINO Chants of “Nativist!” and “Racist!” – Let’s Build the Damn Wall!
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –The Noisy Room – New Agers Back Socialist Sanders as Messiah
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –The Glittering Eye –The Hotel California Budget
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Nice Deb – Saturday Movie Matinee: “I Give It a Month”
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! –Mark Steyn – The Party of Why Nothing Can Be Done submitted by The Watcher
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes –Victor Davis Hanson – The Tragic and Complete Collapse of Racial Relations submitted by Nice Deb
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –Grouchy Old Cripple – White Privilege submitted by Don Surber
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Haidt Lukianoff/ The Atlantic –The Coddling of the American Mind submitted by The Razor
- Fourth place with 1 vote –Rebeccah Heinrichs/Real Clear Defense – U.S. Foreign Policy Is Overdue For Some Realism submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes – The Blaze – ‘Israel Must Be Obliterated’: New Iranian Video Imagines Muslim Invasion of Jerusalem submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes –David French/NRO – Angry Black Radicals and the Foolish White Liberals Who Love Them submitted by Joshuapundit
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –Daniel Greenfield/FrontPage Magazine–Putting Obama over country is treason submitted by Bookworm Room
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –Michael Totten –The American Flag Flies Again Over Cuba submitted by The Watcher
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum. and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the weeks’ nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.