Alea iacta est…the Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and we have the results for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
Is it is, or is it ain’t?
This week’s winner, The Noisy Room’s The Sandbagging of America is a sharp, well written examination of Edward Snowden and the NSA scandal, and her conclusion is that it’s definitely not what it’s been painted as. Here’s a slice:
I was wrong. When I first heard that Edward Snowden was exposing the NSA on PRISM, I thought, good… let it all come out. After all the scandals and crap Obama has been getting away with, like most of America, I wanted something to come out. To get some exposure for the bad guys. I was played.
Then I sat down, listened to my gut and thought about it for a bit.
My first inkling that I had it wrong, was when John Bolton came out and called Snowden a traitor and said he was guilty of an act of war. Bolton is someone I admire a great deal. He contended that Snowden had given ‘aid and comfort to the enemy.’ And indeed, he has.
I then had a discussion with my friend Trevor Loudon of New Zeal. He and Cliff Kincaid have looked extensively at Snowden and his connections to the avowed Marxist, Glenn Greenwald. If you will remember, Snowden released his revelations to Greenwald, The Guardian and The Washington Post (both papers are liberal rags).
You should know Greenwald, he addressed the International Socialist Organization‘s Socialism 2011 conference in Chicago: Al-Qaeda hoped a single attack on U.S. soil, very minimal in scope compared to the level of deaths that the United States has been bringing to the world for decades–from Vietnam to illegal wars in Central America–would trigger bankruptcy-inducing policies. Ironically, the only thing that can truly strengthen America’s national security is a weakening of America.
There is a valid argument that Snowden’s betrayal is a case of Chinese espionage. The Russians are also offering asylum. He is backed and supported by Russia Today, Iranian Press TV and by Al Jazeera. Julian Assange of WikiLeaks fame is also supporting him. George Soros’ Free Press and CODEPINK are right there cheering Snowden on. It’s a who’s who of bad guys on Snowden’s team. But wait, it gets better. Snowden’s story is Swiss cheese for spooks.
Here are a few inconvenient facts on Snowden:
The guy is a high school dropout. How did he get a classified position with the NSA?
He started out at the NSA as a janitor.
He learned Chinese while at the agency.
He made a whopping 122k at the NSA (he falsely claimed it was 200k).
He claimed he broke both legs while in special forces training. Not exactly… He was at Fort Benning when he broke them, while trying to get into the X-Ray program.
Snowden was at the NSA for three months – count em’ and then tell me how he was promoted from janitor to technical analyst. Really? Don’t think so.
He was a Ron Paul supporter, but voted twice for Obama.
In our non-Council category, the winner by a nose was Mark Steyn with Big Politically Correct Brother submitted by The Noisy Room. It’s pure Steyn, a comparison of the intense government scrutiny of conservative groups versus the the sort of non-scrutiny given to Muslims and Muslim institutions.
OK, here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes! The Noisy Room–The Sandbagging of America
- Second place with 3 votes – Bookworm Room-Regressive Progressive’s strike again, spending hundreds of thousands of education dollars on recycled liberal claptrap
- Third place with 1 2/3 vote – Simply Jews-What Do The Russians Really Want
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 vote – Liberty’s Spirit- Caroline Glick on the Jewish-American Community’s Affair with Leftist-Jew-Hatred
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote – Nice Deb-Pedophile Ambassador Protected By State Dept ID’d as Major Obama Bundler & Political Appointee
- Fifth place *t* with 1 vote – The Mellow Jihadi- No More Navy Uniform Changes
- Sixth Place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Right Planet- Angry Wacko Bird
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – JoshuaPundit – Epic Fail! GM Recalls 500,00 Cruze Cars Over Engine Fire Risk
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – VA Right! –NSA Snooping Incompatible with the Right to Privacy in Roe v. Wade Ruling
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Political Commentator –Politics Obama-style: The Obama Lie-Clock and Obama lies!
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Glittering Eye – The Past Is a Bucket of Ashes
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – Now That She Has The Lungs
- First place with 2 votes! – Mark Steyn-Big Politically Correct Brother submitted by The Noisy Room
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Elbert Guillory –Elbert Guillory: “Why I Am a Republican”submitted by Bookworm Room
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes –Real Clear Politics –Bill Ayers: Try Obama for War Crimessubmitted by The Glittering Eye
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes –Ann Althouse– “What’s so ‘ugly’ about the mockery?” submitted byRhymes With Right
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes- Answering Islam –Sacrificing Our Daughters: On the Psychology of Islamic Rape-Gangs submitted by JoshuaPundit
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Mona Charon –The Unmentionable Injustice submitted by The Colossus Of Rhodey
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Telegraph Blogs –North Korea’s State-Sanctioned Girl Bandsubmitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote -American Spectator –The Era Of Contempt submitted by The Political Commentator
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –John Hayward/The Conversation –The all-seeing State averts its gazesubmitted by Nice Deb
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Gavin McInnis/Taki’s Magazine –10 Misconceptions About Being a Parent I Had Before I Became A Parent submitted by The Razor
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Heather McDonald/City Journal –The Real Risks of Amnestysubmitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote –David Gerstman/Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion –Is Hassan Rouhani Really a Reformer? submitted by The Watcher
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Own The Narrative –The Progressive “Reality” submitted by The Right Planet
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote -Angry White Dude –Marco Rubio Comes Out Of The Closet – He’s A Democrat submitted by VA Right!
See you next week! Don’t forget to tune in on Monday AM for this week’s Watcher’s Forum, as the Council and their invited special guests take apart one of the provocative issues of the day with short takes and weigh in…don’t you dare miss it. And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter…..’cause we’re cool like that!