As more information that comes out of the Middle East, it looks more and more like amateur hour for the Obama administration…..
White House Propaganda Minister, Jay Carney was given the unenviable job of easing off the regime’s position that the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya was purely a spontaneous reaction to a YouTube video, not a pre-planned attack meant to mark 9/11. Now, other factors besides the video are said to be under investigation. Some day, if given enough time, and with the full resources of the US government, they may actually be able to determine what most of us have already figured out.
Keith Koffler of White House Dossier reported:
“The cause and motivation behind (the attacks) will be decided by that investigation,” Carney said. “There are other factors that were involved in the violence that ensued – other factors that are involved that are under investigation.”
Last week, he said: “It was video that cause the unrest in Cairo and the unrest in Cairo that precipitated the unrest in Libya and elsewhere.”
Fox News reported:
Carney continued to claim that “we do not have any indication at this point of premeditation or pre-planned attacks,” but went on to say: “we’re not making declarations ahead of the facts here.”
Perhaps significantly, Carney did not go so far as U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice in detailing what the administration thinks happened. In doing so, Carney appeared to acknowledge that the investigation could offer a different version of events.
Via The Cable:
The Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was in fact “a terrorist attack” and the U.S. government has indications that members of al Qaeda were directly involved, a top Obama administration official said Wednesday morning.
“I would say yes, they were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy,” Matt Olsen, the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, said Wednesday at a hearing of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, in response to questioning from Chairman Joe Lieberman (I-CT) about the attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
As for who was responsible, Olsen said it appears there were attackers from a number of different militant groups that operate in and around Benghazi, and said there are already signs of al Qaeda involvement.
“We are looking at indications that individuals involved in the attack may have had connections to al Qaeda or al Qaeda’s affiliates; in particular, al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb,” he said.
The U.S. government just isn’t sure yet whether the terrorist attack was pre-planned or whether it was an example of terrorists taking advantage of protests against an anti-Islam film, Olsen said.
As in… using the anti-Islam film as a “pretext”?